Welcome to my cooking blog. My name is Michelle Jenkins. Let me start by admitting that these are NOT gourmet meals, they are NOT fine dining, but they are mine. I have cooked all of these recipes and taken my own photos. They are fairly simple recipes, most of them are quick to prepare and cook and all of them are delicious. I only post my successes! If something doesn't work out, I don't post it. I hope you enjoy this blog.

Monday, February 9, 2015

Crunchy Cherry Muffins - sugar and butter free!


I had half a packet of frozen cherries in the freezer and I needed the freezer space so I came up with this recipe on the spot. This recipe will also work well with fresh or canned cherries. Just remember to drain off the juice if you're using frozen (thawed) or canned...I did...I drank it XD

As you regular followers know - I am on a whole foods kick at present so I've used wholemeal flour for this recipe. I find butter and sugar aren't necessary because the cherries are sweet enough. If you're not a lover of wholemeal flour, substitute with plain or gluten free.

I've called them crunchy cherry muffins because I added seeds to the dry mix - pepita and sunflower seeds to be precise, but these could be omitted if you're not a lover of seeds.

This makes 12 medium sized muffins...you won't need a cake mixer either!

Ingredients:

Dry mixture:
  • 2 cups wholemeal flour
  • ¼  tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • 2 tblsp desiccated coconut
  • 2 tblsp mixed seeds (pepita and sunflower work well as they are nice and small)
Wet mixture:
  • ⅓  cup low-fat Greek yoghurt
  • 3 tblsp avocado oil (any nut oil will be nice too. I think olive oil will be overpowering though)
  • 2 large eggs
  • ½ tblsp vanilla extract or cherry extract (I used cherry)
  • 1 ½ cups cherries (either fresh cut in half, or frozen or canned)


Method:
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius 
  2. Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl
  3. In a separate bowl, lightly beat the eggs with a fork and add in the Greek yoghurt, oil and extract. Mix well.
  4. Make a well in the centre of the dry mixture and add the wet mixture to it. Mix gently with a spoon. No need to use a whisk or cake mixer. It will appear a bit wet but it will be fine, I assure you.
  5. Fold in the cherries but don't over-mix or it will make the muffins tough
  6. Spoon into your muffin tray leaving space at the top so they rise. They do rise, so I only ¾ filled the muffin holes
  7. Bake for 25 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. When a skewer comes out clean - they are done.  D-E-L-icous  XD

No comments:

Post a Comment